Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

IC's photography thread.

Discussion in 'Art & Videos' started by Geval, Oct 10, 2016.

1. College Pictures!

Touchdown the Bear
    [​IMG]

Baker Laboratory
    [​IMG]

Bailey Hall Theater
    [​IMG]

McGraw Tower, Cornell's famous chimes tower. Also known as "Bingalee Dingalee" by a meme group (that I have joined).
    [​IMG]

Some beautiful forest near the botanical gardens
    [​IMG]

An 18th-century village called Forest Home, tucked away in a far corner of the campus. Really pretty.
    [​IMG]

View on the way to one of my classes
    [​IMG]

Sheeper farm near the veterinary school
    [​IMG]

The music building, Lincoln Hall
    [​IMG]

The classroom where I have one of my urban planning lectures, The American City.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. Very nice !

3. Double exposure on an 50's box camera.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 2
  4. Hey! So I'm really busy but I'll try to make some time online! I have some more photographs I've taken of the area around Cornell University. This time, it's pictures of a town called Collegetown. It's actually a part of the City of Ithaca (like Manhattan is part of New York City). The cool thing about Collegetown, though, is it's almost entirely inhabited by students! The town is very alive and bustling all the time, even at 1 in the morning (when it's full of drunk and confused students on the streets).

• Like Like x 1
  5. Today I went with some other students to an area called Ithaca Falls, a beautiful ravine/gorge with a couple waterfalls halfway up the mountain to Cornell University. (Google Maps)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BONUS: An Edwardian-style apartment building I had the pleasure of being inside today. (Google Maps)
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  6. [​IMG]

Time to update this thread!
    A picture of my girlfriend shot with Mamiya M645 and a roll of film that expired in '85!

• Like Like x 4
  7. Nice picture!!

:eek: A girlfriend now wow. *sniff* they grow up so fast

• Like Like x 1
  8. Nice pics, Geval!
    I totally forgot about this photography thread, haha. I recently got a Google Pixel 2 phone that takes wicked amazing pictures, so I'll share some recent ones (directly off my Flickr backups). This first post is all photos taken since I've been home from university for the summer.

[​IMG]
    This 18th-Century (pre-American Revolution) Federal-style cottage was originally built near Carlisle, Pennsylvania, was disassembled and is being rebuilt near Great Cacapon, West Virginia.

[​IMG]
    Twin Italianate-Victorian buildings in the City of Winchester, Virginia

[​IMG]
    At midnight near my house

[​IMG]
    Neighborhood in Berkeley Springs, West Virginia

[​IMG]
    Front of my former high school, taken while I was helping with theater activities. The building was built in 1939 in an austere rendition of Art Deco (the windows are from 2002)

[​IMG]
    From a staircase window in the same building

[​IMG]
    18th-century Federal-style building in Shepherdstown, West Virginia. My sister is on the bench.

[​IMG]
    Illuminated stained glass window in a former church, Brunswick, Maryland

[​IMG]
    Illuminated Victorian-era trim in a shop in Berkeley Springs. I took this photo to use as an example of the importance of depth and light/shadow dynamics in creating interesting and appealing architecture.

• Like Like x 2
  9. These ones were taken in April and May while I was at Cornell University.

[​IMG]
    View from Appel Commons Community Center, Cornell University, City of Ithaca, New York.

[​IMG]
    American Football game, Cornell University

[​IMG]
    Looking at Warren Hall from the Plant Sciences Building, Cornell University

[​IMG]
    Fishing at Beebe Lake, Cornell University.

[​IMG]
    Trail along Beebe Lake. Bradford Hall and Olin Laboratory are poking up from the trees.

[​IMG]
    Barton Hall (Indoor track, physical education and military science), Cornell University

[​IMG]
    State Theater, City of Ithaca

[​IMG]
    Student-rented house, City of Ithaca, New York.

[​IMG]
    Highlighter party in the above house.

[​IMG]
    Banner in front of a window, Willard Straight Hall.

• Like Like x 2
  10. sluggie
    IMG_3064.jpg

• Wizard Wizard x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  11. You're not giving us evidence of your partying side are ye nitrome? ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. Cool picture's Nitro! and a lovely slug :p

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. A few days ago, my family went to central New York State for a couple days so my sister could look at colleges around there (especially Ithaca College, which is right next to Cornell). Not only is central New York (which is on the Allegheny Plateau) beautiful itself, but during the entire 5-hour drive there, we cross over the Allegheny Mountains and Plateau in Pennsylvania and New York, with amazing views that I try to capture whenever I'm not the one who's driving (haha).

[​IMG]
    The inn, near Ulysses, New York, where we stayed the night. It was built in the 1830s in the Greek Revival style. Central NY grew in population during that era, when things that were Greek (and maybe Roman) were very trendy in the U.S. Many of the old buildings around central NY are Greek-inspired, and many towns have Greek and Roman names (Ithaca, Ulysses, Skaneateles, Cincinnatus, Romulus, Cazenovia, Pompey, Delphi Falls, Marathon, and- yes, there's a city called Rome, New York).

[​IMG]
    Inside the inn.

[​IMG]
    The side yard of the inn, where the cat was enjoying some sunlight.

[​IMG]
    We did a short hike at Buttermilk Falls State Park near Ithaca.

[​IMG]
    Also during the hike.

ROAD PHOTOGRAPHY

[​IMG]
    On I-99, on Bald Eagle Mountain near Altoona and Port Matilda in Pennsylvania.

[​IMG]
    US-220 near Lock Haven, Pennsylvania. This valley forms the border between the Allegheny Mountains (on the right/South) and the Allegheny Plateau (on the left/North).

[​IMG]
    US-15 north of Williamsport, Pennsylvania, on the Allegheny Plateau.

[​IMG]
    Near Blossburg, Pennsylvania.

[​IMG]
    View through the Tioga River Valley near Mansfield, Pennsylvania. US-15 curves along the sides of the hills with great visual effect.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Jealous of those awesome roads! And that lovely view.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Cozy inn, and great scenery !!

16. My cat Tommy plopped down on the kitchen floor while I was eating lunch, and I just couldn't resist taking a few pictures. He's one handsome boy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And now, the subject of my new sheepy (not goaty) profile picture, J.C. the Ram, the official mascot of Shepherd University, where I am now studying historic architecture preservation. He lives on a university professor's personal farm and his name is derived from the university's current president, Dr. Mary J.C. Hendrix. Each ram's son takes over as mascot with each new president (or if the ram grows old).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  17. Country roads, take me home, to the place I belong... *inhales* WEST VIRGINIIIIAAAAAAA

I took these photos during the summer when I went with my family to Dolly Sods Wilderness. I kinda forgot about them until now and decided to share.

Dolly Sods is a wilderness area that used to be a farm settled by a German family called the Dahls (hence the name). During World War II, it was a training ground for the U.S. Army. The scarred landscape has since grown over with taiga plants whose seeds were carried by animals from Canada and grew well due to the high elevation and cooler temperatures.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It started raining while we were driving and I got this road picture. This is on a newly-opened section of the highway US-48. There's no street view here yet, but here's street view at another location on the highway.

[​IMG]

We stopped for dinner and entertainment in Thomas, a nearby Victorian railroad town. The large Classical/Romanesque building is Cottrill Opera House and Sutton Theater, which is being restored. There's a very well-known restaurant and inn down the street called the Purple Fiddle where there's live music almost every night (we saw a jazz fusion band called Qiet).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2