Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today!

IC's photography thread.

PsychedelicGoats

Retired Staff
Retired
Sep 22, 2012
Berkeley Springs, West Virginia, USA
I like being the passenger in a car, because I can take highway photography like this. I'm visiting family in New York for the weekend and this was on the way - Interstate highway 78 descending a hill towards Easton, Pennsylvania (famous for the headquarters of Crayola crayons).

My aunt's cat Missy just had her thyroid removed on Friday, but she's doing well. (Posted on r/cats)

PsychedelicGoats

Retired Staff
Retired
Sep 22, 2012
I've taken a bunch more photography recently, so here's a bit of what I've done.

I can drive myself around my town and take photos of the scenery.

View of the Sleepy Creek Valley in Morgan County, West Virginia.

The same valley, about 10 miles south of the previous location (and on a much cloudier day).

Farmland on a hill.

Another section of the Valley. Cacapon Mountain is in the distance.
Siren spotting, looking for and documenting emergency sirens. This one is a Sentry 10V siren used for fire calls by our rural volunteer fire department. This is actually right by the location of the previous photo, and the siren can be heard all the way to that distant mountain.
On another note, I'm still not sure whether the words on the parking lot say "No Parking Lane Fire" or "Fire Lane Parking No."

A quiet street in Berkeley Springs, WV that used to be the site of a military academy. It burned in 1970, leaving no trace behind, except for the now-deteriorated dormitory which was turned into an apartment house. Good news though, it was just bought by a historic preservationist from New Orleans who plans to architecturally restore it as her new house!

Elf and Annie, two bunnies who are frequently seen around town. They have an Instagram hashtag, #bunnyofberkeleysprings (yes it's bunny, not bunnies).

The Morgan Community Concert Band, which I play in during the summer season when I'm not at university. This was their Spring concert, and the theme was movie soundtracks.

Bean sprouts on an Eastern Redbud tree, one of the most common trees around here.

Stormy sky over my university campus in Shepherdstown, WV.

astrotrain24

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Sep 15, 2013
I've taken a bunch more photography recently, so here's a bit of what I've done.

The same valley, about 10 miles south of the previous location (and on a much cloudier day).

Farmland on a hill.

Siren spotting, looking for and documenting emergency sirens. This one is a Sentry 10V siren used for fire calls by our rural volunteer fire department. This is actually right by the location of the previous photo, and the siren can be heard all the way to that distant mountain.
On another note, I'm still not sure whether the words on the parking lot say "No Parking Lane Fire" or "Fire Lane Parking No."

A quiet street in Berkeley Springs, WV that used to be the site of a military academy. It burned in 1970, leaving no trace behind, except for the now-deteriorated dormitory which was turned into an apartment house. Good news though, it was just bought by a historic preservationist from New Orleans who plans to architecturally restore it as her new house!

Elf and Annie, two bunnies who are frequently seen around town. They have an Instagram hashtag, #bunnyofberkeleysprings (yes it's bunny, not bunnies).

The Morgan Community Concert Band, which I play in during the summer season when I'm not at university. This was their Spring concert, and the theme was movie soundtracks.

Bean sprouts on an Eastern Redbud tree, one of the most common trees around here.

Cool pics

Reactions: PsychedelicGoats

Geval

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 8, 2012
The moon

Farmland on a hill.

Looks great! Sometimes im pretty jelous of all the lovely terain you guys got over there :D

Reactions: PsychedelicGoats

PsychedelicGoats

Retired Staff
Retired
Sep 22, 2012
Here are some picture's shot in Amsterdam. Shot on a Kodak film that expired over 20 years ago!

Amsterdam is a beautiful city, and one of the #1 places I want to visit outside the U.S.! My mother visited back in the 80s and brought home many souvenirs, including a painting called "Zee-Idyllen" and a technical diagram of a windmill. The old film here looks like it could have been taken by her when she visited! Haha.

PsychedelicGoats

Retired Staff
Retired
Sep 22, 2012
I'm almost done with my first week working at an architecture studio! It's one of the coolest experiences I've ever had and I'm super excited to be doing it this summer.

Every day, I drive from my home in Berkeley Springs, West Virginia, into the city of Winchester, Virginia. This view near Cross Junction, Virginia. In the background is the Blue Ridge Mountains, as mentioned in Country Roads.

My own corner of the studio. On the screen is a house basement plan that I made into a measured drawing. I have also given identification codes to every door in a 5-floor apartment building plan, and done a lot of square foot calculations. The poster on the wall is from the studio's restoration and renovation of Charles Washington Hall, the courthouse where John Brown was tried for treason and sentenced to hanging after the failed Raid on Harpers Ferry in 1859.

Boscawen Street in Winchester. The studio is on the second floor of the red building on the left.

The City Hall in Winchester, a couple blocks down the street from the last photo.

My first site visit! It's an environmental education center near Capon Bridge, West Virginia. It was built in 1967 and is structurally fine but barely heatable and not very functional. They're looking for a complete redesign. They haven't chosen an architect yet, we're one of several contenders.

A beautiful field next to the environmental center. It was a sheep farm until the center was built. The weather was just starting to clear up after some rain.

This is a new barn, built in the 1990s, at the environmental center. They have events such as folk dances in here. They want to weather-seal it so it can be heated and used in the winter.

The ceiling of the barn.

And now, an unrelated photo that I took last week and I thought turned out very well.

This is a spot in my town, a few blocks away from my house. The inn is actually behind the camera, that building is a bank (built in the 1970s in a weird revivalist style, but it still makes for a good photo).

Reactions: Geval