Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Some Fun With Math

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by astrotrain24, Jul 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Hey peeps! Thought I'd do some fun with math since this forum is too quiet ;)

I figured out of sheer boredom I'd calculate how old the server and some players, events, and other things are in Minecraft years. Now to calculate in game years, we have to look at the conversion of IRL to in game time. Thanks to the Minecraft Wiki page on Measurements (I could've looked at the Day-night Cycle page for easier math but this is more fun), the rule of thumb is as follows:

To convert time in Minecraft to time in real life, simply divide by 72 or multiply by 72 to convert time in real life to time in Minecraft.

In short we get the following: 1 minute IRL = 72 minutes MC

So if we continue to expand this figure by measurement we essentially get that 1 year IRL = 72 years MC

Now here comes the fun part with some fun facts:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dates are estimates based on wiki information, player reports, and similar resources (? next to date are indicative of a questionable date). If you have more valid estimation for the start/end dates for the early worlds be sure to let me know below!

*According to dates, May 2011's latest release was Beta 1.7 was June 30, 2011, however with the server opening in May the version would have had to been Beta 1.5.02 or 1.6. End date unknown, set to one month after 1.0 world estimated release (2/1/12).
    **1.8 released on September 15, 2011, therefore holding the one week rule for updating I've set the date for September 22, 2011. End date unknown, set to one month after 1.0 world estimated release (2/1/12).
    ***1.0 released on November 18, 2011, however most players report the world beginning in 2012. Therefore will hold world release date as January 1, 2012.
    ****Yes I realize some parentheses are missing from two cells but its late and I don't think its worth the time to edit such a minute detail at this point ;)

[​IMG]

Unfortunately bbcode tables don't work on the forum so had to spend a few extra hours converting and transferring everything over to a doc to make it into pretty tables ;)

Might update this at a later point with more stuff but should be good for now. Anyways, the moral of the story is we got old but still nice to see how far we've come and still are active. Have a good one peeps! ;)

-Astro

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Wizard Wizard x 1
  2. Are you sure about the house cleaning? Felt like yesterday...... :I

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. To get more precise, you could actually get even more nuanced: A Minecraft day is 24,000 ticks, and a Minecraft world runs at 20 ticks per second, leaving us 1200 seconds to a Minecraft day. Thus, after 20 minutes IRL, you have a Minecraft day. Now, to compare Minecraft days to IRL days, we need to bump up to an hour - 60 minutes - which means multiplying by three. We also know that in real life, there are 24 hours in a day, meaning that in one IRL day, 72 Minecraft days passed.

Thus, we can conclude that the conversion of MCT=72(IRLT) stands as mathematically true, as does IRLT=((MCT)/72)